Formatting Your Ebook
Self-Publishing & Ebook File Conversions
If you’re self-publishing, you’re probably thinking about an ebook. It’s how many people read these days — on their Kindles, their iPads, their Nooks, and all the other devices and apps.
Ebooks can be distributed as PDFs, but they are static, don’t allow for hyperlinks in the material, and can appear differently on different devices. Plus — they don’t have the benefits of notetaking, highlighting, zooming, or other ebook features that readers love.
FACT: If you’re publishing on Amazon Kindle, your ebook will need to be in a .mobi file format. If you’re publishing on any other ebook platform, your ebook will need to be in an .epub file format.
Converting MS Word Documents into Ebook Files
Converting from an MS Word doc into an .epub or a .mobi is not difficult. You can learn the tricks of the trade and spend a day or two learning to do it yourself for free. It helps if you know some HTML and are familiar with looking at code and working with .jpegs.
It’s not difficult, but it is a specialized task.
Ebook formatting should include:
- including the book cover image with the front matter
- selecting final font and spacing options for book default
- making headings dynamic
- formatting the table of contents
- formatting all page breaks
- adding/removing blank pages where necessary
- formatting all interior images
- formatting all bullet and numbered lists
- formatting references and citations
What to expect with ebook formatting from SRD Editing Services:
- Review of final, proofread MS Word document to confirm headings and subheadings
- A recommendation for fonts for body text and for headings, based on your genre.
- Addition of front matter: Title page, Copyright page, Acknowledgments and/or Dedication page, and/or Reviews, etc.)
Not currently offering ebook formatting for image-heavy manuscripts such as:
- Graphic novels/comic books
- Illustrated children’s books
Average timeline for ebook formatting:
🗸 2 to 3 weeks
Ebook Formatting Pricing:
Steps After Ebook Formatting
Back Cover / Online Description Copy
Once you have a finalized manuscript, it’s time to prep the book for publication. For the back cover or online description, you need creative, engaging copy that includes a streamlined summary of the book.
Professional Book Reviews
Your published book needs honest online reviews on sites such as Amazon and Goodreads, which can help sales.